"LOL" is the "Bless their heart" of the internet

I've noticed growing up that there is a way a person can say something kind of disparaging about someone, but then put a magical "I...

I've noticed growing up that there is a way a person can say something kind of disparaging about someone, but then put a magical "I'm only saying this because I care about them" twist at the end. It's known as "bless their heart" and you know what I'm talking about.

"Did you hear? The Smiths got little Billy tested and he is slow, just like we thought. Bless his heart."

"I don't care for when Jenny cooks, she doesn't have a domestic bone in her body, bless her heart."

"Caroline has really put on a ton of weight. And it's mostly in her face and butt. Bless her heart."

See how that works? As the person starts to say it, those listening are thinking "Yikes! This is rude!" but then it's all forgotten at the end when the person says "bless their heart". They just care! Really it's just so you can say something mean without feeling bad/appearing evil. It's wrong and I don't condone it however am ashamed to say I've used this tactic myself.

I bring it up because I notice that there is a form of this on the web. When commenting on people's status updates, articles, blogs, what not, commenters can't help but leave their opinion, but don't want to seem too rude about it, so they throw an "LOL" on there.

Wonderful day! I got up, ran errands, and then had a great lunch at McDonalds!

Comment: I don't know if anything at McDonalds could be considered "great". Or if you can consider stuffing your body with all of the chemicals and low-grade garbage that McDonalds offers to be a "wonderful day". But hey, if adding on pounds and taking years off of your life is "wonderful", then I'm glad you had a good day. LOL.

Tricky.

Now, while I have used "bless their heart", I cannot stand LOL. I don't know if it's because it's in writing, or because it's used sooooo much, but there is something so demeaning about it (okay, BTH is demeaning as well...). Maybe it's because, unlike the magical smoke and mirrors of "bless their heart", "LOL" is so transparent. And people try to get away with much more than they ever would with "BTH". 

Status Update: On a plane to Denver and this stupid person next to me won't stop making weird noises and taking up more than half the arm rest! I want to say something but I don't want to be forced to communicate with this sorry excuse for a human being. LOL.

Harsh, right? (ps- these are all made up to prove a point). You wouldn't dare try to get away with that with BTH. 

Status Update: On a plane to Denver and this stupid person next to me won't stop making weird noises and taking up more than half the arm rest! I want to say something but I don't want to be forced to communicate with this sorry excuse for a human being. Bless their heart.

See?

Also, people throw LOL on to things that are neither Laugh-Out-Loud worthy, or super rude that it needs an LOL.

Eating my favorite pizza. Pepperoni and pineapple!
Comment: I'm eating pizza, too! LOL!

I see this a lot, and I'm always confused. Why the LOL? Are two people eating pizza funny? So funny that you would laugh out loud?

So basically, they're both annoying/wrong. I guess if you want to LOL at things that aren't L-able, then that is your prerogative. Bless your heart.

You Might Also Like

3 comments

Flickr Images