Venice Day 2

In movies that take place in Italy, you always see laundry hanging out on a line, waving in the wind. I didn’t actually think they still ...

Photobucket

In movies that take place in Italy, you always see laundry hanging out on a line, waving in the wind. I didn’t actually think they still did that, but they do! We saw laundry line-drying around every corner. Although, it smells like saltwater and fish here, so I wonder how fresh the laundry is…

Photobucket

In the morning we took a (very crowded) water bus around the city. It’s a great way to see everything. It’s very colorful here, I kept telling Justin that Venice is such a “photogenic city”. Every street, canal and alley way is so distinctive.

Oh, by the way, I think this city is sinking. And I didn’t know until I got here that it's been something of a potential issue for a while now. But you look around and you can see that a lot of the buildings once had usable steps, porches and first floors, and they are now uninhabitable because they are full of water! It’s crazy (I don’t know the actual prognosis for Venice, if it is actually sinking or if it just seems that way because of high/low tides-- wikipedia says it was subsiding throughout the 20th century because of Artesian wells that were being dug all over, but that has been mostly stopped).

Here are some pics we got during the day.

The Basilica of St. Mary of Health.

Photobucket

Photobucket

The Rialto Bridge.

Photobucket

We found a little pizza place for lunch. I had potato and bacon pizza and Justin had pepperoni.

Photobucket

We took a gondola ride while the sun was setting. It was so nice and relaxing! Our gondolier would tell us facts about certain buildings we passed, and although he did not sing, we did pass a gondolier that did.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The Rialto Bridge at night.

Photobucket

We spent a lot of yesterday on the water. Three water bus rides and one gondola ride, I still feel like I'm rocking back and forth! Eesh.

I'm amazed at the variety of boats here, it's all of the service vehicles you see at home, but in boat form. For you to better get an idea, Justin helped me come up with this guide.

Photobucket

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. Wow! So many boats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Venice...wish I was there. Love it. Great pics. Love your boat guide!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you enjoyed the boat guide!

    ReplyDelete

Flickr Images