Germany is Awesome!!!

We had a four hour drive from France to Cologne, Germany. It went by pretty quickly, however I wasn't the one driving. On our way, w...

Photobucket

We had a four hour drive from France to Cologne, Germany. It went by pretty quickly, however I wasn't the one driving.

On our way, we stopped at a Belgian McDonald's. I was excited to order, because not only did I know the word for "fries" but I also knew the word for small, "petit".

I got up to the counter. I was excited.
Me: PETIT FRITES!
What I really meant: Look at me! I am bilingual and awesome! Aren't you impressed???
McDonalds Worker: Small Fries? Okay.
What she really meant: Don't go acting like you're bilingual and awesome because you know two words in French.
Me: ...yeah.
What I really meant: fine.

After our bilingual McDonald's meal we hit the road. I was surprised by the amount of English speaking music they play here in Germany. We were excited when we first heard what sounded like contemporary music, and so we left it on that station. After hearing songs with lyrics like "you're just like my yellow boomerang", "you think you're a movie (long pause) star" and "she's a ten but she wears a 12", we realized this was music we'd never heard in America.

Thank goodness.

It was like the singers were very familiar with the English words, but were unfamiliar with the flow of the language. And why would they record music in English if they're only playing it in Europe? The music itself is really rough, and there is an endless amount of it.

Our first day in Germany was spent in Cologne. And the first thing we noticed is that they're big fans of Ursula (Justin's sister)!

Photobucket

We had the best weather since we've been in Europe. Everyone was so nice and helpful and there were pretzel, pastry and jelly doughnut stands everywhere!

Photobucket

I had been asking about hot pretzels ever since we arrived in Europe, and knew Germany would have them for sure, so it was the first thing I wanted to get. When I thought Justin said there were "pretzel shops" nearby, I instantly perked up and I was like "PRETZEL SHOPS?!?!?!?!!". He had actually said "plenty of shops", but he realized from my reaction that it was time to get me a pretzel.

So we did and it was good!

After that we checked out the cathedral.

Photobucket

It was such a nice day out! We walked down this street filled with shops, cafes and even a Dunkin' Donuts!

Photobucket

Upon heading back to the car, we saw a man in front of the cathedral drawing this "3D" picture.

Photobucket

We only got to spend the morning and early afternoon here since we had a long drive ahead of us to Neuschwanstein. But this town is definitely worth coming back to sometime.

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Fun...i want a pretzel, now. Looking forward to your pics of Fussen and the castles there. I'm so glad the weather has been so great for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie Biggs6:20 AM

    Loving the blog! All the pictures are bringing back so many memories. Watch out! Some german pastries LOOK like they have chocolate on them, but they are a huge amount of poppy seeds all smashed together! :-0
    Enjoy your trip!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel- Neuschwanstein was very cool! And the story behind it is so interesting.

    Katie- That sounds gross. I'm glad you're enjoying the blog! Where did you stay again? Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie Biggs8:53 AM

    We lived in Schweinfurt, close to Wurzburg. Love you too!!

    ReplyDelete

Flickr Images