Munich Day 2, 3 & 4!

With BMW being a Bavarian company, there is a really cool BMW museum here! We went to one car museum first, part of the Deutches Museum. ...

Photobucket

With BMW being a Bavarian company, there is a really cool BMW museum here! We went to one car museum first, part of the Deutches Museum.

Photobucket

Onto the BMW museum! The cars were cool, but I loved the way the museum was set up! It was so sleek and clean and futuristic. It was also right next to something called BMW Welt (BMW World) where they showcased new cars/motorcycles and features and even let you get onto pretty much every motorcycle they make.

Photobucket

After that, it was back to the city. Every day at 11am (and 12pm and 5pm in the summer) there at the clock building, music plays, and animatronic people in the clock tower, built over 100 years ago, start to dance. We came back the next day at 11, and there were tons of people there waiting for it to start. At one point during the statue dancing, a Bavarian jouster on a horse knocks over a jouster from a rival region. The crowd gasped as though it was happening for real. If you want to see a video clip just leave a comment and we'll put it up.

Photobucket

We also happened to be there during Oktoberfest. And not just any Oktoberfest, but the 200th anniversary! I didn’t know this until Justin informed me, but Oktoberfest got started because when Prince Ludwig and Princess Therese got married in 1810, there was a celebration that lasted two weeks! It turned into something they celebrated every year and eventually turned into what it is today;

A mob of really friendly drunk people wearing dirndls and lederhosen while sporting heart cookie necklaces.

Photobucket

Photobucket

There are tons of “tents”, which are really just huge restaurants made out of tent material with more ornate facades. We went to the Spatenhaus Tent (which had four peasants spit-roasting a van-sized pig on its facade) and found a sea of people. We walked around forever before we found a seat next to some very talkative and excited people.

Photobucket

Photobucket

The excited people were telling us how they were from Salzburg, Austria, and they loved Oktoberfest and that their job was either to take a Euro every time someone went to the bathroom, or they were truckers. It could be neither or both, I’m not sure.

When the waiter brought us our food, whole chickens, they stopped chatting and let us eat. I did what I always do... I ate the white meat and then put the rest of the chicken on Justin’s plate. Our friends happened to look over right after I did that and were like “WHOA!!!” and kept pointing to my plate with looks of amazement on their faces, thinking I had eaten the entire chicken in like, two minutes flat. And I wanted to point out that, since my plate was empty, I would’ve had to have eaten like, 100 bones. But since there was a bit of a language barrier and I didn’t know how that would sound, I just let them think that.

Photobucket

I hoped I might find a piece of jewelry or something on my trip as a souvenir. When we were walking down a shopping area in Munich I found it!

Photobucket

It’s so cute! I got it from Swarovski and it’s by some Japanese artist. I thought it was perfect because it reminded me of the art we just saw in Versailles!

Our last day in Munich was a relaxing one. We just kind of walked around the city, visiting parts that I hadn’t been to, including this huge, gorgeous park called the English Gardens. Apparently hanging out nude is a normal thing here in the summer, but I'm pretty sure I still saw several shiny, fully-naked people while we were there!!!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Fall in Germany reminds me of fall in Michigan. All of the leaves have turned here. I’m usually in California at this time, still thinking it's summer, so I loved seeing some autumn weather in autumn.

Photobucket

Germany was very cool, and we will have to buy lederhosen and dirndls for our next visit!

Photobucket

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. You would be surprised! It's been raining here in LA! The weirdest weather ever. I want to check out the video!!!

    ReplyDelete

Flickr Images